Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hunt for supplies- the safari begins

I have been trying to get my hands on some craft supplies for a while now. Its been hectic really. All i want is some vegetable tanned leather. Thats it and i have tried looking every where for it. I went to spotlight, and they told me they used to stock it, but no more, then i went to the leather man in the market, and he said he didn't have any, (and directed me to a company website based in Ballarat that sells it only by every 2sqm at $200) then in desperation i rang my father, (who used to own horses and once tooled leathers for custom bridles.)then asked him where to get it.. Finally he told me to try a horse place - so that's my last resort. Tomorrow i am going to give it a go and see if i can get me some veg tanned leather! David also wants to go to Ballarat on the weekend so maybe i can rope him into coming to the leather factory with me on the hope they will have a scrap bin i can raid. Wish me luck on that venture -_-

On another note, i have been gym-ing it up like a mad woman these last few weeks. Its been already two weeks and i have only missed 3 days of gym. My god i am sore! but a good sore, and if i persevere... Victory will be mine! Speaking of gym, today was an uber fun day. I met Sally at the gym at 3 and requested a few songs to listen to when we were working out. Number one was Corey Hart with his 80s classic 'sunglasses at night', number two was Boney M and 'Ma Baker.' (I wanted 'Rasputin' but they didn't have it) and finally L.E.N with 'steal my sunshine'... Then we started going crazy and looking up other songs like Rick Astley's 'never gunna give you up' ( for all the nerds out there, i rick rolled the whole gym, lol) followed by the ever classy * choke* Peter Andre.( don't bame me that was Sal.) All in all before i knew it 30 mins had passed on the bike and i was sore! i jumped off and immediatly went on the rower.. big mistake.. i couldn't move for a few minutes and all i did was 400meters! slack!

As for uni i have two days of it next semester. One whole day on Wednesday ( 9am- 7pm) and one two hr lecture on Tuesday! super slack! I looked at my book list and have seven books to buy for one class! Thats Modern lit for you! I am going to drop American Cinema, as it has a two hour clash with my major subject 'Landscape and life world.' So that is whats on the agenda for Friday. I am excited about Landscape and life world becuase we get to go on feild trips and a 6km hike! Woot! What i am most excited about however is the Nature journal component! i want to make a recycled journal which has awesome sketches and uses recycled material! Oh man i am so, so excited! i have to get Tegan to show me how to make some paper! because it is going to be awesome! i even want to use an old leather jacket to make a waterproof cover for it to present! its going to be beautiful! so for this awesome, of awesome journal ( i wish it was worth more than 20%) i am goin to need:

-18 A4, pliable ( can be folded in half without breaking) recycled peices of paper
-2 pieces of thic cardboard and one thin strip ( for the cover and the spine)
-some awesome fabric for the cover and back pocket ( which will hold pens and the like)
-glue
-elastic
- some embroidery cotton to stitch the spine
- also a big frickin' needle to pierce the pages to make the spine.
-some fabric paint to decorate the front and back.

I plan on making three signatures equalling 36 pages, two of which will be stuck down to form the back cover and front cover.
A leather jacket will be cut up to create a water proof diary pocket to use with the book.- all in all i think i will get a full 20% for that assignment!hehe

gym-ing again at 9.:)

3 comments:

Casey-Lou said...

Ooh how I admire you so not only for your Gym dedication but for your uni hard-working-ness! I've decided that next semester I really need to be a good girl and actually go to the lectures, even the boring ones otherwise I'm letting the kids down (that's my new motivation, guilting myself using the kids - I feel it could work... well, at least up until the point where I go "Fuck the kids, I want a sleep in!" Lol. Anyway - love the song choices, everytime I hear Rasputin I think of you!! I'll be forever in awe of you and your dedication to self improvement! Love you Christabelle!

Tegan Louise said...

Hey Bella! Come up to my studio some time and I will show you how to make paper! After you get organized it is so easy! You have inspired me to start working out again preshie!

Love you!

xx

antikva said...

Hiya!
Saw you live in the same place as me on the toy society blog. So, came to stickybeak :-)

I have some vege tanned leather if you want some. I got mine from a saddlery in Townsville years ago. So maybe a saddlery around Bendigo? I'm new here so don't know all the places to go yet.